Can you be allergic to succulents?

Can you be allergic to succulents?

You can be allergic to succulents, but it is not as common as being allergic to most other plants caused by pollen. So, do succulents have pollen?

With succulents producing far less pollen than many other house plants and having sturdy, fleshy leaves, they are a great choice for pollen allergy sufferers.

However, there is a wide variety of succulents, and you can be allergic to a specific compound in any of these plants.

It's most likely that these reactions would only be caused by direct contact with the plant or contact dermatitis, as very little succulent pollen is released from these plants.

You may ask, "Are succulents poisonous to our pets?" Unfortunately, they are toxic to dogs, cats, and humans. Here's a list of the most toxic succulent plants to avoid.


Euphorbias contain milky sap, which causes an adverse reaction, including intense skin inflammation and eye irritation.



While humans can eat the gel found inside aloe vera leaves, it is toxic to pets. The chemical saponin found in aloe is highly toxic to our furry friends.

Aloe Vera


It’s unclear exactly what substance within jade plants makes it toxic to pets, but it is dangerous nonetheless.

Jade Plants


They are one of the easiest plants to grow but contain toxic saponins like aloe veras.

Snake Plants

Click the link to learn more about non-toxic succulents to grow. 👇

10 Best Lawn Weed And Crabgrass Killers In 2023 👈

10 DIY Backyard Ideas For A Cozy Pool Landscape 👈

8 Unique Monstera Varieties You Can Grow At Home 👈